Sunday, February 2, 2014

Shedding the winter "when did this happen?" lbs!



Spring is coming, and as much as that excites me, I've been faced with a harsh reality- My diet went crazy this winter. I mean who can resist warm, delicious, comfort food when it's dumping snow outside? And honestly, who has the energy to go to the gym every night when the sun goes down at 5:30?? Definitely not me. But now that it's getting warmer, I can't hide under my oversized sweaters and leggings. I am determined to get my bod back. So I thought I would share the ways I get back into shape and stay healthy, just in case any of you are going through the same realizations that I am.
What I eat:
-On weekdays, I rarely have time to make a real breakfast, but if you have the time, oatmeal with berries or yogurt are my favorites. If I don't have time, I'll have an apple or banana.
-Lunch, not my favorite meal time. I'm so limited since I usually don't have a lot of time. A salad is my go-to lunch on weekdays, but some left overs from the night before is also quick and easy (and hopefully healthy)
-For snacks, I love Kind granola bars, fruit, or carrots and hummus. Really anything small and under about 200 calories is fine, but something packed full of nutrients will keep you full until dinner.
-Dinner: Always tough for me because I come home craving so many different foods. Try something like grilled chicken, fish or tofu, with rice or quinoa and a vegetable. Your plate should be half vegetables or greens, one quarter grains and one quarter protein. A tip for eating less? Use dark colored plates (you will generally put less food on your plate) and eat slowly. If you scarf it all down in 5 minutes, your brain doesn't even have time to tell you when you're full.
Exercise: 
I love running, but it's still a little too cold where I live for early morning runs. I try to go to the gym 2-4 times a week. I run on the track or use the elliptical, and then do abs and arm workouts. If I don't have time to go to the gym, I still like to get some exercise in. I will do circuit training in my house- things like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, and jump rope for cardio. I've also been loving Blogilates. Cassey is a great motivator and her videos are super fun and challenging. I try to do one ab video followed by either a leg or arm video.

I'm obviously not a trainer or health professional, but this is what I do to get ready for bikini season! If this helps at least one person I'll be happy, Xoxo, Kyla

No comments:

Post a Comment